Inspired by the landscape of Iceland, the Glymur Poncho by Paula Leme is a stunning poncho with delicate eyelets that is universally flattering.
Simple & satisfying, the poncho is knit top down starting with US 7, 24” circular needles for the ribbing. The body of the poncho is then continued with US 9, 32” circular needles (use needle to achieve gauge & feel free to increase circular cord length as you increase). If you can do a make 1 & a yarn over, then you can knit this poncho!
The poncho requires a total of 850 yards worsted or aran weight yarn. If doing a three color version, then you will need approx. 260 yards of color A (charcoal or black), 330 yards color B (medium to light grey), & 260 yards of color C (cream or white).
Some yarns to try include:
- Cascade Lana d’ Oro- soft alpaca/wool blend with light halo
- Blue Sky Fibers Woolstok- lovely 100% wool
- Shibui Drift- knit alone or held double with Shibui Silk Cloud for ultimate luxury
- The Fibre Company Arranmore- soft, luxury tweed
- Malabrigo Rios- for a fun, tonal version
- Louisa Harding Amitola Grande- choose one variegated color and let the yarn do the work for you
The pattern is available to purchase in store or on Ravelry.
The Wool & Co. Team